Tuesday 6 December 2011

Foreigners, you won't have job in France!

"J'aime la France et je la quitte".

On this bitter fact that Salma returned to Morocco, her native country, only a few days ago. She is a graduate of Sciences Po and despite a promesse d'embauche (promise of employment) in a consulting firm in human resources, a young Moroccan, who was educated in French high school in Rabat, has not received permission to remain in France to stay work.

Since a circular of 31 May 2011, signed by the Ministers of Interior and Labour, it has become more difficult to find employees with non-EU foreigners, whether graduates or experienced. Since then foreign students have to think seriuosly about how they can convince La Prefecture de Police in order to change their status to work.

I am one of these students and I am concerned about this issue too. I will graduate in 2012 and I am going to try to change my status in order to be able to work full time. I have been working (part time)in a hotel since 2009 and I have CDI.

If I can't change my status what will happen?

This is THE question I have been asking myself since I'm in this school. If I have an International diploma and I can't use it in international level, why am I studying then?! Just to tell the world that I have payed 13000 euros to be sent to my country without any experience? My intention is not to stay in France eternally but to gain some experience in order to be able to contribute to the development of my country, Uzbekistan. If students are refused to work after their graduation what is the interest of welcoming them to study? By the way France has refused to give visas to 20 uzbek students who were accepted in different universities to study last year.

This issue is more serious than that. Enterprises are complaining as well that they are lacking foreign candidates.

"There is a structural deficit of engineers in France that requires us to recruit foreigners," says Jacques Adoue, human resources director of Capgemini in France, one hundred cases are currently blocked. "Moreover, what can you tell a manager who took time to train an intern for six months, who wants to hire him and, ultimately, can not?"

"We recruit every year about fifty young graduates, some Brazilian, Chinese or from the Middle East. These profiles are strategic to our business because they are the markets where we have the biggest growth prospects. Our turnover is already 90% out of France, "said Francis Wazières, international director of recruitment at L'Oréal.


Key Figures

France hosted 65,218 foreign students outside the European Union in 2010, 28.82% more than in 2009.
The nationalities most represented are: China (15.9% of admissions of students), Morocco (8.8%), the United States (8.6%) and Algeria (6%).
A study by the Ministry of Interior conducted between 2002 and 2009, seven years after their arrival in France, 60% of students have left the country.
The remaining 40% are still present, still 10% as students, 10% have changed their status to become employed and 20% have a residence permit for family reasons. A total of 285,000 foreign students (including EU) follow courses in France.


Please comment

No comments:

Post a Comment